[Ecls-list] Building ECL

Jachym Holecek freza at psi.cz
Thu Mar 10 22:18:28 UTC 2005

Hi Juanjo,

> >Hmm, those ~8000 calls to sigprocmask() I observed on ktrace don't exactly
> >help I guess. I'll have a look over the weekend, hopefully.
> >
> Well, I can hardly guess where they come from. If it is not the garbage
> collector, ECL should not produce any unix signals. Thanks in advance
> for your help ;-)

I've built profiled version of ecl [1] and found that biggest offenders
are memset(), _sys___sigprocmask14(), strncmp(), in this order. The
sigprocmask() comes exclusively from from setjmp()/longjmp() [2]. I'm
planning to dissect the results in more detail sometime, umm, later ;-).

Note that I'm currently using rather feature-rich ecl configuration,
doing more experiments on a minimalistic config might probably make sense,
too. I'll keep you informed if I get further results...

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek

[1] For the record, this is as simple as:

	export CC='gcc'
	export CFLAGS='-pg'
	export LDFLAGS='-pg'
	./configure [...]
	gmake

[2] In case it matters, this is on NetBSD/i386.