[Ecls-list] Multithreaded code

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Fri Jan 21 01:19:18 UTC 2005

Valery Syssik wrote:

>>In  either  configuration,  MzScheme  can  co-exist with additional OS
>>threads  that  are  created  by  an extension or an embedding program.
>>However, the additional OS threads must not call any scheme_ function.
>>

>In my case it is impossible model.

Well, you have to understand one thing, which is that in a lisp
implementation, each thread needs to have some resources: special
variables, stacks for setting up CATCH and UNWIND-PROTECT frames, a lisp
stack for interpreting, etc. This means, you cannot start arbitrarily a
thread with your C code and expect that from this thread the lisp
implementation will work.

You will find the same problem whenever you want code implemented in two
languages that require different runtime support. You have to
communicate the other language that you create a thread, and that you
want to run code on that thread.

In the Common Lisp model, threads are called "processes". To each
process you associate the resources I mentioned before. This is done at
creation time with MP:MAKE-PROCESS. Each process has an associated entry
point, a function which is called when the thread is actually started.
This is done with MP:ENABLE-PROCESS. In a typical program you do the
following

(defun entry-point (text)
    (loop
       (sleep 2)
       (print text)))

(mp::process-run-function #'entry-point "thread is running")

I agree that sometimes you want to create the thread in the C world. An
example that comes to my mind is a webserver that you have extended
using ECL. For each connection you might want to spawn a thread which
calls lisp code. Sometimes the thread is given to you and cannot be
created by ECL.

Well, in that case one should import the thread into the lisp world. The
code for that is not yet done, but I can create easily a C function
called ecl_import_thread()  which creates the appropiate resources for
running code in the given thread.