[Ecls-list] ecl-0.9e msvc 7.1 linker error (windows).

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Thu Jan 20 09:05:15 UTC 2005

Valery Syssik wrote:

>Good evening, Giuseppe Attardi.
>Tanks for maintenance and support ECL!

Well, Prof. Attardi was the original creator of ECL, but I have been
maintaining it since year 2000 :-)

>I try to build ECL (ecl-0.9e-fix-1.tgz.gz)
>under MSVC 7.1 (VS.NET 2003) on my Windows 2000 box today.
>Linking failed twice on "ecl_min.exe" and "ecl.dll",
>because there is a mixture of libc and libcd (debug)
>libraries used inside *.obj files.

Sorry, I cannot help with this. The MSVC port is maintained by Michael
Goffioul.

>The second question is:
>What does it mean:  "Threads were broken with latest
>improvements." (http://ecls.sourceforge.net/news.html)?
>Can ECL used in MT program with POSIX threads (Solaris) and
>Windows threads?

This page is out of date, as it refers to the old, user-level threading
facility that EcoLisp had. Lisp multiprocessing is now implemented using
the POSIX threads and should be easily ported to other platforms or
native threads definitions. However, due simply to lack of time, I have
not built a multiprocessing version of ECL for the last months and
cannot assure that everything will work. Furthermore, besides myself, I
know nobody that has used this facility, so the whole library lacked a
lot of testing from the very beginning O:-)