[Ecls-list] Small ECL Qt GUI demo in 111 lines

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Fri Dec 2 01:23:00 UTC 2005

> Wow, this really sounds much better than my approach, I
> didn't know the Smoke interface.

I found it because I was looking for the QtC library (C wrapper for Qt)
which I know existed once. I then found out it had been superseded with
Smoke (used by qtruby qnd qtcsharp).

> For a really serious usage of all the Qt features, one must
> always use a really object-oriented approach (although I
> don't like object-orientation very much, I never use it
> except for GUI stuff, so I don't know anything about CLOS).

I'm not a CLOS expert neither, but defining classes and methods is not
that complicated. The major problem I had to solve was to find a way to
provide a C++-like method overloading mechanism for methods with
different
number of parameters (in CLOS, methods with the same name must have a
congruent set of parameters). For the rest, I'm still looking for the
best
way to integrates constructors, signals and slots.

> > I'm sure we could help each other, or even work on the same
> > mini-project:
> > providing Qt4 bindings to ECL, couldn't we?
>
> This would be nice, I really wondered if I where the only one
> of all the Lisp users out there interested in a Qt
> integration! (With Qt4 it is much more consistent than with
> the older versions.)

I've been a KDE developer, so I've always been interested by Qt
programming.
Now that it's available as GPL under Windows (with an exsting patch, you
can
even compile it with MSVC), I wanted to tried it out.

> So I would like to contribute something to this interesting
> topic, but as mentioned above I'm not really an OO disciple,
> and I would have to learn CLOS first...

I'll send you the code by private mail, such that you can have a look
(it's ~2MB).

Bye.
Michael.