[Ecls-list] Re: Input and output to subprocesses?

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Thu Nov 25 08:32:05 UTC 2004

Richard M Kreuter wrote:

>Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:
>
>>here is such a facility and it is called EXT::RUN-PROGRAM. The
>>function signature is
>>    (EXT:RUN-PROGRAM COMMAND-NAME ARG-LIST &KEY
>>       (INPUT :STREAM) (OUTPUT :STREAM) (ERROR T))
>>

>Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, while this works for me on Debian
>GNU/Linux sarge x86, it doesn't on NetBSD 2.0 x86. A child ecl is
>forked, but it doesn't seem to get as far as exec'ing anything. If I
>can find the time (maybe this weekend), I'll see if I can figure out
>why not.

That's interesting.

>How gdb friendly is ecl?

For this routine you will have no big problems. The only difficulties
with GDB arise either from the preprocessor (sometimes the line in the
source does not match the one you would like), or from you trying to
display lisp values. In this case I always advice to type into GDB

    gdb> call cl_print(1,whatever_variable_you_inspect)

This, unless your lisp is corrupted by some other reason, will print the
lisp value you are inspecting.

I would also recommend you to include the .gdbinit file which is in the
ecls/build/ It sets up some breakpoints on the routines that signal errors.

Regards,