[Ecls-list] can't compile with g++, and a question about returning a pointer from c-inline

Larry Clapp larry at theclapp.org
Sun Feb 29 19:11:01 UTC 2004

Hi again,

I'm trying to interface with a C++ library.  I have some sample code
that looks like

    (clines "#include \"cxx-ffi-test.h\"")

    (defvar *a*
	(c-inline () () :int
	    "(int) new foo()"
	    :one-liner t))

    (defun make-foo ()
      (c-inline () () :int
	    "(int) new foo()"
	    :one-liner t))

    (defun |foo::bar| (a-foo)
      (c-inline (a-foo) (:int) :int
	    "((foo *) #0)->bar()"
	    :one-liner t))

    ; which all works fine, until ...

    (defclass baz ()
      ((slot)))

I've set C:*CC* to "g++", and also diddled a bit with C::*CC-FLAGS*.
The compile line looks like

;;; Invoking external command: g++ -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-mcpu=athlon -march=athlon -fPIC -fstrict-aliasing -Dlinux
-I/big2/usr/src/qt-x11-free-3.3.0b1/include -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_SHARED
-DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -O -I/usr/local/lib/ecl//h -w
-c ffi-test3.c -o ffi-test3.o

The .h file for the generated code has

    extern cl_object clos_ensure_class();

g++ complains:

    ffi-test3.h: In function `void init_FFI_TESTp(cl_lispunion*)':
    ffi-test3.h:13: error: too many arguments to function
	`cl_lispunion* clos_ensure_class()'

which I can fix by hand-editing the .h to say

    extern cl_object clos_ensure_class(...);

and re-running the compile by hand, and then g++ doesn't gripe any
more (and gcc doesn't seem to mind, either).  Ideally, of course, I'd
add a real signature, but this works for now.

I can't find where ecl emits the "clos_ensure_class()" line, or I'd
send a patch, not a bug report.  :)

At least three other function prototypes also have this problem:

    extern cl_object clos_slot_index_table();
    extern cl_object clos_install_method();
    extern cl_object cl_typep();

Can anyone suggest where I can patch the prototype generation?

Incidentally, you may've noticed me casting a pointer to an int:

    (defun make-foo ()
      (c-inline () () :int
	    "(int) new foo()"
	    :one-liner t))

Ick.  Can anyone recommend a better alternative?  I see that cl_object
has an ecl_foreign strucure, for user defined data, but I'm not sure
how to make use of it in the c-inline.

Thanks!

-- Larry Clapp