[Ecls-list] cannot cross compile ecl 0.9c

Larry Clapp larry at theclapp.org
Sat Feb 21 20:17:15 UTC 2004

Hello,

I cannot cross compile ecl 0.9c (to an arm 1110, if it matters).  make
fails at ecl-0.9c/src/lsp/evalmacros.lsp:

> .
> .
> .
> ;;; Compiling (DEFUN DO/DO*-EXPAND ...).
> ;;; Compiling (DEFMACRO DO ...).
> ;;; Compiling (DEFMACRO DO* ...).
> ;;; Compiling (DEFMACRO CASE ...).
> The function DO/DO*-EXPAND is undefined.
> Broken at DO*.

Any suggestions?  I've already compiled & installed ecl 0.9c for my
build machine, so no problems there.

I tried a fake "cross-compile" from build machine -> build machine
(hacked all the configure scripts to say "cross_compiling=yes"), and
it crashed in the same place.

I noticed the CROSS-COMPILER script pushes :CROSS onto *FEATURES* ...
but grepping the source doesn't find anything that actually refers to
the :CROSS keyword.

I can't cross compile cvs, either.  Checked out, compiled, & installed
0.9d for real on my build machine, then the cross compile bombed
running compile.lsp:

> .
> .
> .
> if [ -f CROSS-COMPILER ]; then \
>         ./CROSS-COMPILER < compile.lsp; \
> else \
>         ./ecl_min < compile.lsp; \
> fi
> ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9d
> Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
> Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
> Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
>         ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
> Type :h for Help.  Top level.
> "bare.lsp"
> Top level.
> > #<"COMMON-LISP" package>
> Top level.
> > #<"CL" package>
> Top level.
> > "~A -o ~A -L/big2/home/lmc/zaurus/cross-compiled/ecls-cvs/build~* ~{~A ~} ~@?"
> Top level.
> > "-Wl,--rpath,~A -shared   libecl.so -ldl -lm"
> Top level.
> > NIL
> Top level.
> > NIL
> Top level.
> > The variable +LISP-MODULE-FILES+ is unbound.
> Broken at EVAL.

Any suggestions there?

-- Larry Clapp