[Ecls-list] FreeBSD port - again

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll worm at arrakis.es
Tue Feb 3 13:23:16 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 00:53, Julian St. wrote:
> in order to properly fit into the FreeBSD ports/ tree, ECL should use
> install-info to install info files.

Hi Julian, thanks a lot for your work on the port!

> To make this work without breaking something two things ought to be
> changed:
>
> 1. The Makefile in src/doc must be told to use this. This is quite trivial
> (ok, one should use install-info --delete in uninstall, too, but the ports
> system does not use uninstall anyway)
>
> +       $(INSTALL_INFO) ecl.info $(prefix)/doc
> +       $(INSTALL_INFO) ecldev.info $(prefix)/doc
>
> 2. configure has to have some standard value for @INSTALL_INFO at . Ideally
> this would be @INSTALL_DATA@, so there is no breakage for anyone. This is
> not as trivial and I have no clue how to accomplish this.

I am not sure that your fix was entirely correct. "install-info" does not copy
the INFO file, it only registers it in the menu /usr/info/dir, /usr/share/
info/dir or whatever name it has in your system.

My fixes are more or less as follows

	$(INSTALL_DATA) ecl.$(INFOEXT) $(infodir);
	$(INSTALL_DATA) ecldev.$(INFOEXT) $(infodir);
	if [ -x $(INSTALL_INFO) ]; then \
	  $(INSTALL_INFO) --infodir=$(infodir) ecl.$(INFOEXT); \
	  $(INSTALL_INFO) --infodir=$(infodir) ecldev.$(INFOEXT); \
	fi

The value for INSTALL_INFO is obtained at configuration time using

	AC_SUBST(INSTALL_INFO)
	AC_PATH_PROG([INSTALL_INFO], [install-info], [foo],
		[$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc])

and should find the install-info program in /usr/bin/install-info under
FreeBSD.

Furthermore, the files are now compressed using gzip before being installed.

Regards