[Ecls-list] Case woes

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Dec 21 01:43:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have fixed a couple of things in ECL regarding the effect of readtable
and print cases in the printing and reading of symbols. In particular

+ The capitalization now takes into account possible spaces, hyphens,
etc in the symbol name.

+ The value of +print-escape+/+print-readably+ determine that the output
should be such that if read with the standard readtable one recovers the
same symbol. In practice this means one has to escape symbols which have
lowercase letters in some cases.

+ What most puzzles me is the issue of packages. To ensure read/write
consistency, an implementation has to analyze the effect of
readtable/print-case in the name of the package and of the symbol either
separately or jointly. Consider for instance the case of readtable case
being :invert

           package name      symbol name