[Ecls-list] About ECL 0.9c

Robert Lehr bozzio at the-lehrs.com
Fri Oct 31 09:09:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 05:32:37PM +0100, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2003 16:07, Robert Lehr wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:01:40AM +0100, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> > > * The flag -lgmp is missing at link time when configuring with
> > > --enable-local-gmp.
>
> FIXED

Thanks.  Is it on the HEAD or a separate branch?

> > > * "ecl-config" is outdated, and does not have all required flags and
> > > tries to link missing libraries (libclos.a is NO LONGER REQUIRED!
> > > libecl.a encompasses everything, but it is much better to use libecl.so)
>
> FIXED (i think)

Thanks again.

> > > * The libraries and headers should be installed in a more standard
> > > location.
>
> This has low priority, unless some system rejects the current location of
> libecl.so, which I think no one does. And "eclconfig" should _now_ solve the
> problem of having things in nonstandard places, because it includes a flag
> --rpath that points to where the shared library is installed.

Agreed.  Everything works fine right now.  Actually, I like it in its
current location since it is intended mostly for use as part of the
ECL compiler versus general use.

> > > * The *debugger-hook* does not work as expected.
> > > * The interface for trapping errors is suboptimal. Examples are required
> > > in the documentation.
>
> I have to have a look at the error signaling and trapping mechanism. The
> default toplevel and the default debugger are intimately related. The lisp
> code has to be revised in order to ensure that the user who wants to embed
> ECL may use either, both or none. I think I have spotted the errors of the
> error handler today :-)

That would be good.

> > The code is fulfills much of the role of documentation for me.  So would
> > you like help with any of these?
> > Do you have ideas on ways that you want to fix these?
>
> [ modified by bozzio ]
>
> I would like to have a simple, but rather full featured example of how to
> integrate ECL in a C program. Something which
>
>    1) is a toy program, but
>    2) shows how to call lisp from C,
>    3) shows how to call C from lisp,
>    4) shows how to handle errors, and
>    5) shows how to create custom streams.
>
> I do not have the time to sit down and write a big example, but if you sketch
> something (one Makefile.in, a C file, a lisp file), I could give it shape.

I can do that.  My current work accomplishes #1, #2 and #3.  I could do #4 if I
could find a reliable method.  Currently, nothing that I have tried works.  #5
is not on my list at all, currently; maybe after #4.  Actually, this "toy"
program is being written towards integration with a "real" application.

I will send whatever I have when I finish.

--

Robert Lehr
bozzio at the-lehrs.com