[Ecls-list] About ECL 0.9c

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll worm at arrakis.es
Fri Oct 31 08:33:09 UTC 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 16:07, Robert Lehr wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:01:40AM +0100, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> > * The flag -lgmp is missing at link time when configuring with
> > --enable-local-gmp.

FIXED

> > * "ecl-config" is outdated, and does not have all required flags and
> > tries to link missing libraries (libclos.a is NO LONGER REQUIRED!
> > libecl.a encompasses everything, but it is much better to use libecl.so)

FIXED (i think)

> > * The libraries and headers should be installed in a more standard
> > location.

This has low priority, unless some system rejects the current location of
libecl.so, which I think no one does. And "eclconfig" should _now_ solve the
problem of having things in nonstandard places, because it includes a flag
--rpath that points to where the shared library is installed.

> > * The *debugger-hook* does not work as expected.
> > * The interface for trapping errors is suboptimal. Examples are required
> > in the documentation.

I have to have a look at the error signaling and trapping mechanism. The
default toplevel and the default debugger are intimately related. The lisp
code has to be revised in order to ensure that the user who wants to embed
ECL may use either, both or none. I think I have spotted the errors of the
error handler today :-)

> The code is fulfills much of the role of documentation for me.  So would
> you like help with any of these?
> Do you have ideas on ways that you want to fix these?

I would like to have a simple, but rather full featured example of how to
integrate ECL in a C program. Something which is a toy program, but shows how
to call lisp from C, C from lisp, handle errors, and create custom streams. I
do not have the time to sit down and write a big example, but if you sketch
something (one Makefile.in, a C file, a lisp file), I could give it shape.