[Ecls-list] defentry problems [0.9]

worm worm at arrakis.es
Thu May 8 05:49:08 UTC 2003

[Sorry for this late answer, but I am right now in another conference
with very limited access to mail.]

My excuse: this problem with DEFENTRY was reported long ago, but it
was not done as a bug report in sourceforge, and therefore I forgotted
it :-)

The cause: DEFENTRY and DEFCFUN were commented out in the original
release of ECL. I did not uncomment them, because there were some
things which bothered me: for instance, passing strings was made by
simply giving the C routine access to the data inside the lisp string,
without copying, or any other security measure.

This inherent insecurity, made me intentionally forget DEFENTRY.
However, I now believe that it is the user's responsibility to deal
with these problems (Interfacing to C is an ugly business anyway, it
is normally done by moderately clever and responsible people :-).
Therefore, and to solve the problem that my UFFI-compatible FFI is not
finished, I will submit ASAP a patch which reactivates DEFENTRY.

BTW, the same business may be achieved with DEFCBODY (Which is also
unsafe). Just look at the manual.

Best regards,

Juanjo