[Ecls-list] unnecessary (?) glibc dependencies

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Jun 30 13:51:01 UTC 2003

Hi!

I'm writing a Lisp application for a customer of mine and he wants
"binaries". As he needs them for Linux and Solaris and I only have a
LW license for Linux I decided to give ECL a try for this project. It
looks like ECL's ANSI support is good enough for my program, so
everything is fine except for one problem I ran into:

If I build a program like "myecl" from

  <http://ecls.sourceforge.net/ecldev.html#Building%20programs>

on my laptop (which has a recent Linux with glibc 2.2.5 on it) and
then try to execute it on one of my client's machine with an older
Linux installation (glibc 2.1.3) I get a message like

  ./myecl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.4' not found (required by ./myecl)
  ./myecl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ./myecl)

If I do it the other way around, i.e. build on the "old" machine and
execute on my laptop, it works fine.

Is there an easy way to develop and build binaries on my laptop that I
can execute with older glibc versions? It seems to be the case (at
least for this simple program) that the dependency on the glibc
version isn't really necessary.

Thanks,
Edi.