[Ecls-list] unnecessary (?) glibc dependencies

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Jul 1 02:31:01 UTC 2003

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <worm at arrakis.es> writes:

> I still have to finish the port for Solaris: static linking works on
> my private source tree and I will commit the changes this week;
> problems with the BW garbage collector.

Ooops! That does mean 0.9 doesn't work for Solaris? Good to know. But
I take it that I should grab the nightly CVS tarball next week and try
this one, right?

> I don't know where this dependency comes from :-/ I suppose that
> glibc 2.2.* and 2.1.* are binary incompatible and the system
> therefore complains. Lacking a better solution, I would recommend
> building a statically linked image:
>
> LDFLAGS="-static" ../src/configure --prefix=$HOME --disable-shared
> --enable-local-gmp
>
> The flags "-static" and "--disable-shared" are like virus and will
> propagate to the programs you build with this image. Notice also,
> that the image created by this process is far too large, as it
> contains the compiler: you should use BUILD-PROGRAM to build your
> own customized application. But you already know this, probably.

Does that mean I should already build ECL itself with these flags?
I'll try that.

I don't mind if the image I work with is large as long as the binaries
built with BUILD-PROGRAM aren't dozens of megabytes big.

Thanks for your help,
Edi.