[Ecls-list] unnecessary (?) glibc dependencies

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll worm at arrakis.es
Tue Jul 1 02:19:06 UTC 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 22:49, Edi Weitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm writing a Lisp application for a customer of mine and he wants
> "binaries". As he needs them for Linux and Solaris and I only have a
> LW license for Linux I decided to give ECL a try for this project. It
> looks like ECL's ANSI support is good enough for my program, [...]

I still have to finish the port for Solaris: static linking works on my
private source tree and I will commit the changes this week; loading of
shared libraries still has to wait, because of some problems with the BW
garbage collector.

> Is there an easy way to develop and build binaries on my laptop that I
> can execute with older glibc versions? It seems to be the case (at
> least for this simple program) that the dependency on the glibc
> version isn't really necessary.

I don't know where this dependency comes from :-/ I suppose that glibc 2.2.*
and 2.1.* are binary incompatible and the system therefore complains. Lacking
a better solution, I would recommend building a statically linked image:

LDFLAGS="-static" ../src/configure --prefix=$HOME --disable-shared
--enable-local-gmp

The flags "-static" and "--disable-shared" are like virus and will propagate
to the programs you build with this image. Notice also, that the image
created by this process is far too large, as it contains the compiler: you
should use BUILD-PROGRAM to build your own customized application. But you
already know this, probably.

Please write back to the list if you find any further problems.