[Ecls-list] CMU format

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Mon Dec 15 11:07:01 UTC 2003

On Monday, Dec 15, 2003, at 07:17 America/New_York, Julian St. wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:35:45 +0100
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <worm at arrakis.es> wrote:
>
>> The idea of porting the pretty printer
>> makes me a little bit sick, because, opposite to the AMOP or CLOS,
>> where the specification itself can be directly translated into code,
>> the pprinter is a very ugly and complicated piece of work. And CMUCL's
>> relies on CMU streams, which complicates the port.
>
> I am going to inspect this this evening, perhaps there's a way to
> neatly
> work around it for the moment. (But seeing the wall of snow outside my
> window, I guess this email won't be delivered until then anyway... The
> network I am on is connected to the internet via laser)

Got it.  Anyway, it shouldn't be all that difficult to port the CMU
pretty printer to ECL.  If memory does not fail me, the CMU pretty
printer is itself derived from the "generic" version available in the
CMU AI.Repository.

>> Happy hacking,
>
> My ultimate goal is to get ASDF running with ECL. The pprinter issue is
> at the moment the last object that breaks it. But as pretty printing is
> not essential for it to function anyway...

MK:DEFSYSTEM works fine with ECL. :)

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti					http://bioinformatics.nyu.edu
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group		tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488