[Ecls-list] -dir doesn't really work & build musing

Hannu Koivisto azure at iki.fi
Mon Dec 10 08:56:02 UTC 2001

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <Juan.Ripoll at mpq.mpg.de> writes:

> Hannu Koivisto wrote:
>>
>> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <Juan.Ripoll at mpq.mpg.de> writes:
>> > There are no specific changes. That is the reason why I did not use
>> > vendor branches. Regarding the Boehm GC, the version used is rather new,
>> > and at the time I imported it, it was not used in any platform thus I
>> > did not use --enable-local-boehm. No other reason, and perhaps it is a
>> > good idea to add --enable-local-boehm so that ECL takes advantage of the
>> > fact that the collector is installed as a shared library under Debian.
>>
>> Even if it couldn't be installed as a shared library from a Debian
>> package, I would rather install it separately and then have ECL use
>> that installation.  I kind of wonder why Boehm GC and GMP are in
>> ECL CVS to begin with if there are no local changes to them.
>
> Because at some time these changes may be needed and the response time
> for BGC or GMP may be slower than us --although I might give the
> opposite impression these days :)

I suspected you would say that.  I'm just trying to follow your
reasoning here.  I mean, even there were no local changes at the
time you imported GMP and BGC, it seems you knew that there might
be changes in the future.  Yet you chose not to import those
packages to their own branches.  Oh well, I don't really care, I'm
just curious because I've seen CVS used in more than one project in
ways that I consider weird (usually clearly wrong but sometimes the
way I just wouldn't expect) so I try to understand out why people
are doing what they are doing.

--
Hannu
Please don't send copies of list mail