[Ecls-list] Re: [Ilisp-help] ECLS 0.5

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll Juan.Ripoll at mpq.mpg.de
Mon Dec 3 09:30:08 UTC 2001

Martin Atzmueller wrote:

> "Dr. Edmund Weitz" wrote:
> >
> > Has anybody succeeded in using ECLS 0.5
> > <http://ecls.sourceforget.net/> with ILISP? If I'm trying to start
> > ECLS as my inferior Lisp, it tries to load the ILISP init files which
> > results in two ECLS messages of the form
> >
> >   #<a FILE-ERROR>
> >   Broken at LOAD.
> I've looked a bit into this, but I've only a partial fix.
> For one thing, ILISP tries to compile and load the INIT lisp-files,
> e.g. ilisp-pkg.lisp and cl-ilisp.lisp on startup.
> This fails, because ECL has SPECIAL-FORM-P in the COMMON-LISP package,
> but this has been superseded by SPECIAL-OPERATOR-P (ANSI).Doing all this
> more cleanly would probably involve removing SPECIAL-FORM-P from ECL, IMHO.
> Unfortunately I don't have time to debug this further right now, but I'll
> try to look into this again, perhaps next week ...

Thanks for the tip. I stopped working on revising the ANSI standard when
I got into rewriting the interpreter and these days, with my moving from
Spain to Germany, I had neither the time nor  the means to work on these two
problems -- the memory allocation problem and the ILISP compatibility issue.
Hopefully I will start fixing things this week.