[drakma-devel] Unwanted url-encoding of GET parameters.

William Halliburton whalliburton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:08:22 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

I'm trying to use drakma to fetch urls that contain utf8 characters but
HTTP-REQUEST automatically url encodes any non latin-1 ascii characters.

On my cursory reading of the RFCs, this seems conforming behavor, but in
this case it is definitely unwanted.

For example, the following url

  http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=ru&q=вы

if entered directly into the browser correctly returns the text-to-speech
audo file but

when attempting to use HTTP-REQUEST, the url is being url encoded into

  http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=ru&q=%D0%B2%D1%8B

of which google does not url-decode and fails to return the correct data.

So, for this case, the url-encoding is unwanted.

I am willing to submit patch an additional argument into HTTP-REQUEST to
disallow the encoding.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
William