[drakma-devel] Problem with file uploading

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Feb 14 22:23:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:11:55 -0500, "Andrei Stebakov" <lispercat at gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, my gmail client didn't show your messages so the
> last one was the one from Chris.

Maybe they ended up in the spam folder?

> Basically setting :CONTENT-LENGTH T and sending a pathname object
> instead of string solve the problem. Now I understand that with
> :CONTENT-LENGTH nil it was sending the chunked data.

Good.

> I still don't understand why when I send the request without
> :CONTENT-LENGTH T and giving a file name starting with p# the lisp
> process hangs (cmucl), maybe it's just the lisp implementation.

No, I think that's pretty clear: If the server doesn't understand
chunked encoding, then Drakma will try to send the file (and it'll
only do that if you're using a pathname, i.e. the #P"" syntax), but
the server won't accept it - it doesn't know how much it is supposed
to read from the stream.  So, Drakma tries to send data, but on the
other end nobody is reading the data.  That's why the whole thing
appears to be hanging.  You'll probably get a timeout at some point if
you wait long enough.