[cxml-devel] upcoming release

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Thu Dec 29 01:02:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

it is time for a new cxml release.  I am planning to create the release
tarball in a week or so.  It would be great if anyone using cxml could
do some testing until then.

Changes:
  * Implemented DOM 2 Core.  (I.e., namespace support.)
  * Error handling overhaul.  All wellformedness violations should now
    be signalled as instances of CXML:WELL-FORMEDNESS-VIOLATION.  We
    also try to print line numbers.
  * On Lisps without unicode support, there is now an (alternative) DOM
    implementation that uses UTF-8-encoded lisp strings instead of runes
    and rods.
  * Some minor new features (whitespace normalization; parse-string has
    been exported under the new name cxml:parse-rod, ...)

Incompatible API changes:
  * On Lisps without unicode support, the parser recodes to UTF-8 by
    default now.  (Anyone using recoders manually can suppress the
    default recoding using :recode nil.)
  * dom:make-dom-builder has been replaced with two separate functions,
    rune-dom:make-dom-builder and utf8-dom:make-dom-builder.  There is a
    nickname cxml-dom on the former package if the Lisp supports Unicode
    or on the latter otherwise.  (The utf8-dom package is not defined if
    the Lisp supports Unicode.)
  * The unparse-document-* functions have been removed in favour of
    map-document.
  * Sink functions have changed.  Beware that
    make-character-stream-sink happens to have the same name as an older
    functions but works differently.

Thanks,
David