[cxml-devel] cxml on cmucl19c

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon Dec 12 00:20:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

(this also in reply to Adam Thorsen who had this problem with cl-xmpp;
sorry for not responding earlier)

Quoting Kristian Elof S?rensen (elof at elof.dk):
> I downloaded cxml from cvs a few hours ago and gave it a try, but it
> fails to run the "Quick-Start Example" correctly:
[...]
> #(116 101 115 116)

unfortunately, this is expected behaviour in the current cxml release.
I was hoping to check in a solution for just this problem into CVS
today, but did not come around to doing it.

Basically, the current workaround for lack of unicode support on CMUCL
is to use recoders, as explained in the "Dealing with rods" chapter of
the manual: http://common-lisp.net/project/cxml/doc/using.html#rods

However, since the DOM implementation cannot be used with strings, this
is in practice only helpful when working with the xmls-compatibility
mode instead of DOM.

My plan is to change CXML in the next release so that it will
automatically use UTF-8 on Lisps that don't support Unicode strings and
provide a DOM builder compatible with that.

I will let know you know when I have committed this change.

David