Aw: Writing a tutorial

Anton Vidovic anton.vidovic at gmx.de
Tue Dec 28 14:35:01 UTC 2021

Hello ilmu,

thanks for your interest in the library, I hope it is useful so far, despite
the rough edges. ;)

> Apparently I am now setting up async input handling with some
> threads.. and then I found croatoan, now I didn't yet change (which
> as you can see from the code will not be a big change :^)

The croatoan library started a few years ago while cl-charms was
abandoned by its initial author, so as an excercise to learn CFFI, I
reimplemented the ncurses bindings. While using the low-level library,
it became necessary to abstract away as much of the underlying C
functions, pointers and memory handling as possible, so here we are.

> but I see that the project is under active development and looks
> like it will save me a lot of time!

I hope so. It is active, but it will take a while to piece together a
comprehensive object hierarchy.

> I'd like to be a good citizen and produce a tutorial on croatoan in
> parallel with the program itself.

That would be great! Writing useful docs is on my long-term TODO list,
but writing missing code seemed always more important.

Do not hesitate to ask if something is unclear or point out pieces
that are inconsistent or missing functionality that should be there.

If it is any help, consider the documentation for guile-ncurses, which
I took as a template when I started writing the docs.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-ncurses/manual/html_node/index.html

> Normally I'd lurk but I'm emailing the list just to be polite and
> say I appreciate the project

Thanks! Your input will certainly contribute to making it more
accessible to others.

Anton