[cmucl-imp] ASDF 2.016 released

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:46:01 UTC 2011

On 6/8/11 6:13 PM, Faré wrote:
>> Another issue:  The self-contained exec can contain the unicode data
>> base and the external formats.  I've tested that.  But the executable
>> can't save another executable image because the link shell script can't
>> be found.  To be truly self-contained, it would have to be stored in C
>> code and written out at some point.   Or the script would need to be
>> converted into C.  Neither of these appeal to me, but at least the
>> former could be somewhat automated.  Still kind of gross.
>>
> I have recently converted a biggish shell script (used to test XCVB)
> into pure Lisp code using run-program (see xcvb/t/sub-xcvb.lisp),
> and I'm soooo glad I don't have to write shell scripts anymore.
Lisp code would be nice, but, at least the way it's done now, it's too
late to run Lisp code; it has to be in C.

I started to move the shell script into C; that doesn't look too hard,
but then I realized that for an executable to be able to create another
executable image, you need to also have lisp.a, which is basically the
run time.  For the executable to be self contained, that would also have
to be in the executable.

At this point I'm giving up.  I don't really want to store lisp.a inside
the executable too.

Not sure what to do at this point.  But I will add the necessary
function to load up unidata into core in case someone wants that.

Ray