[cltl3-devel] Fwd: RFC: CLtL3 Charter

Brian O'Reilly fade at deepsky.com
Mon Sep 28 22:01:06 UTC 2009

On 1-Sep-09, at 6:40 PM, Drew Crampsie wrote:

> did it again .. somebody smack me upside the head!

Well, as far as these kinds of lisp<->os interactions go, splitting
things up into packages or modules has worked out pretty well for
python and (I think) ruby. It seems natural not to clutter the cl-user
namespace with a lot of symbols that aren't needed universally, and it
is just as easy to (require 'cl-net) || (require 'cl-os) || (require
'cl-sys), for networking, system interfaces, and path operations
respectively, especially if their presence in a 'standard' library was
pretty much guaranteed. There's also the fact that making updates to
these subsystems within the context of a library is much easier than
updating the core system, particularly if cltl3 ends up with a large
deployment base of legacy applications.

Kind Regards.,

Brian O'Reilly