[cltl3-devel] getting mindshare

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Fri May 15 17:49:15 UTC 2009

How does CLtL3 intend to get the mindshare it needs to succeed? I have
a couple of ideas, but I'm asking because I assume this may have been
discussed at ILC or elsewhere.

My take:

* Don't try to sell or do too much in a single go. Don't try to eg.
build a massive system of classification for libraries before you have
the libraries to classify. Don't try to sell MASSIVE ideas when you
can get most of the way there with a few smaller ones. Decouple ideas
initially. Let them aggregate only once they have acceptance and are
implemented.

* Remember to ask for what people *don't* want in addition to what
they do want. This is not to say that controversial things cannot be
done, but perhaps initial velocity (and trust in the projects ability
to do its thing!) is best gained by focusing on the consensus.

* Even if CL is a mudball of strength, I think what CLtL3 seems to aim
at needs a razor sharp focus. Someone(tm) needs to keep the reigns
tight and say "out of scope for now" to everything not in focus a the
moment. Until a certain momentum is there focus is everything, I
think.

Cheers, and good luck!

 -- Nikodemus