[closer-devel] Re: Layered function troubles

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Wed Feb 22 17:10:00 UTC 2006

Hi Nick,

Thanks for finding the mistake yourself. ;)

It would indeed be nicer if a define-layered-method could
automatically generate a proper layered function, not an incomplete
one as is currently accidentally the case. However, I haven't yet
figured out how to make this work. I will try to think about a
solution...

Pascal

On 20 Feb 2006, at 18:10, Nick Bourner wrote:

> Hmm. In case anyone else has a similar problem, the blindingly
> stupid mistake was sloppy programming on my part. I had assumed
> that define-layered-method worked the same as defmethod, so I could
> get away without using define-layered-function first because define-
> layered-method would do it for me, especially since I got a warning
> saying that the generic function had implicitly been created. Bad
> assumption. It all works fine as long as you remember to use define-
> layered-function to create the generic first.
>
> Nick
>
> On 2/20/06, Nick Bourner <nickb42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some troubles getting started with layered functions in
> ContextL - I keep getting undefined-function errors when I try to
> use a layered function, which I'd expect if I wasn't making the
> appropriate layer active. Transcript of a test session shown below.
> Can someone please tell me what blindingly stupid mistake I'm making?
>
> BTW I'm using sbcl 0.9.8 on OS X, but I get something similar for
> OpenMCL as well.
>
> <snip>

Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab
Pleinlaan 2, B-1050 Brussel, Belgium