Gitlab groups and publishing static web pages

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 02:36:11 UTC 2020

    Marco> Hi Everybody Happy (Hacking) Holidays.

    Marco> Ok.  I am back doing this.  Thank you Erik and thank you Ray
    Marco> for the tutorial :)

    Marco> Let me understand how I need to proceed.  But first let me
    Marco> tell you how I was working before.

    Marco> In the past I would load my docs to my local clnet home and
    Marco> the I would copy them to the /project/public_html.  As I use
    Marco> (shameless plug) HELambdaP to generate the documentation (*
    Marco> and ** below), I can keep everything in my folders and not
    Marco> use the .gitlab-ci.yml thingy.

    Marco> Now I have the following problem, which I believe is
    Marco> affecting me (and others) either with or without
    Marco> .gitlab-ci.yml: the new projects do not have a "group" (a
    Marco> UN*X group) created automatically, which is what I was also
    Marco> hinting at with my first message.  Cfr., my last project
    Marco> 'with-contexts'.

    Marco> If I were to create a 'with-context-site' project in Gitlab,
    Marco> I would still have to ask you (the admins) for the creation
    Marco> of the 'with-context' group.  My feeling is that the old ways
    Marco> were better, although I do not know what that entails about
    Marco> Gitlab "groups", which, I presume, are different from UN*X
    Marco> groups.

    Marco> Now: is the move to Gitlab sites mandatory?  If so, does that
    Marco> mean that we will need to have TWO projects going on
    Marco> separately? I.e. 'myproject' and 'myproject-site'?  If the
    Marco> move is not mandatory, will the old way of manually copying
    Marco> documentation to '/projects/myproject/public_html' still work
    Marco> (provided that the 'group' was there)?

Copying documentation to /projects/myproject/public_html no longer works
I think.  The http server doesn't look there any more.  It's somewhere
else; I'd have to look at my old emails to find out exactly where.  But
I think that also doesn't matter because I don't think it's writable by
you.

I don't think you really need two projects, but I find it rather nice to
separate out the site from the code.  However, as a hack I have
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/maxima/maxima-site which is a full copy
of the maxima repo.  Except I only use it to build the docs
automatically with each checkin.  I could build maxima if desired.

But you do need admins to create the project group.  You can't use your
personal group.

    Marco> (***) Can we have ABCL, ECL, CMUCL etc also installed?  Just
    Marco> asking...

Cmucl requires 32-bit libraries.

I think this is an unnecessary extra burden for the admins.  The problem
is knowing exactly which version to have and when to update if needed.
And managing the the versions because different projects may want
different versions.

I solve this myself in my CI config by downloading the appropriate
version and using it.  Perhaps I could save some bandwidth by keeping it
in an artifact so that it can just be reloaded from disk (?) instead of
downloading it from c-l.net each time.

--
Ray