Don't update site on branches, but still see the results?

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 16:49:42 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

>> For other branches, I want it uploaded so I can see the results, but
>> doesn't update the official site.
>>
>> Any ideas on this?  Will staging areas work?  What about gitlab
>> environments?
>>

> Actually, your results are already being uploaded to the GitLab server
> (available for browsing or download) on every job that has "artifacts" set.
> E.g. see https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/cmucl/cmucl-site/-/jobs/2264
> where on the right column, there's the option to "download" or "browse" the
> artifacts from that job.
>
> I'm thinking that if that's "enough", all we need to do is restrict the
> "pages" step to a specific branch with the "only" 'keyword' (soon to be
> replaced by 'rules': https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#rules) .

This should work well enough.  I was changing the web pages locally, and
have a simple server to look at them.  But sometimes they look fine locally
but when they get deployed, something is missing, usually an incorrect path.

For now, I'll just continue with my current branch changing the site and
when it's merged, I'll update the config to deploy only on the master
branch.

Thanks for your help.

--
Ray