Don't update site on branches, but still see the results?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:51:00 UTC 2019

Hi Raymond,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:50 PM Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, cmucl-site generates the site on any branch.

Yes. And it deploys it on each branch.

> This also means that any in-progress branch modifies the official site.  I
> think this should only happen for the main branch (or some other official
> branch).

I think you want to *build* on every branch, but only deploy on some
official site branch.

> For other branches, I want it uploaded so I can see the results, but
> doesn't update the official site.
>
> Any ideas on this?  Will staging areas work?  What about gitlab
> environments?

Actually, your results are already being uploaded to the GitLab server
(available for browsing or download) on every job that has "artifacts" set.
E.g. see https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/cmucl/cmucl-site/-/jobs/2264 where
on the right column, there's the option to "download" or "browse" the
artifacts from that job.

I'm thinking that if that's "enough", all we need to do is restrict the
"pages" step to a specific branch with the "only" 'keyword' (soon to be
replaced by 'rules': https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#rules) .

HTH,

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.