Proposal: project pages deployment through GitLab

Vladimir Sedach vas at oneofus.la
Sun Oct 28 05:32:02 UTC 2018

> Ok. Good. It's probably good to note that in my plans this type of project
> page deployment will be the *only* supported way for project page
> deployment once introduced. (Given the little feedback I received last time
> I pitched the idea, I thought it was a good idea to mention this fact.)
>
> I've analysed the content of some of the largest /project/*/public_html
> directories to prepare for this move. While we made a huge step in reducing
> the content of public_html/ directories which wasn't really "site content"
> (yet, rather Git or Darcs repositories), some of the largest ones are using
> the public_html/ directory for binary artifact distribution (mostly release
> binaries). I'll have a look at what we can do to support hosting that kind
> of content (maybe with an artifact repository of some kind?) instead of
> depending on public_html/ for it.

I'm not following. What exactly does "importing the current project
pages into GitLab repositories" entail, and why is that a problem for
release tarballs? Is it not just putting the static site files into
source control?

One other thing that should be preserved is hosting for user pages,
like https://common-lisp.net/~vsedach/

Vladimir