How to deploy your project pages through GitLab

Erik Huelsmann ehuelsmann at common-lisp.net
Sat Dec 15 18:49:23 UTC 2018

Hi Ray,

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 4:52 AM Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 2:22 PM Erik Huelsmann
> <ehuelsmann at common-lisp.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> I do agree with you that using uploaded files to gitlab makes a lot of
> >> sense.  If I were starting from scratch without any existing mirrors
> >> and my rsync backup, that seem to be the way to go.
> >

> > True. I think I'll document my preferred solution in the FAQ while you
> can use the solution which depends on the slightly adjusted Apache config I
> need to put in place. Would that slightly adjusted Apache config work for
> you for the uploads while still depending on GitLab to build your site?
> >

> I agree with your idea for the FAQ.  And I appreciate having an
> adjusted Apache config to serve up the files. Just let me know what
> the name of the directory will be and I'll test it out soon.

I've adjusted the Apache config (and moved the
/project/cmucl/public_html/downloads directory to /project/cmucl/downloads
to test). You can now use the GitLab site deployment through GitLab Pages
and expect the directory /project/*/downloads to be mapped into the site at
https://common-lisp.net/project/*/downloads.

>   I will
> have to update the site and all the wiki pages to point to the right
> place but this should be a very simple search and replace.  And let
> people who mirror the site know what the new path is.

There are 2 new paths to be mirrored, (a) with the site; (b) with the
downloads:

(a) /var/opt/gitlab/gitlab-rails/shared/pages/cmucl/cmucl-site/public
(b) /srv/project/cmucl/downloads

For those reading this discussion, I've implemented another tool to help
you establish a nice URL space while using the upload facility from
GitLab's API as referred to in one of the earlier posts: You can create a
file called ".download-map" in your project's public_html directory which
maps URLs to GitLab's upload facility through temporary URL redirects. I'll
need to write a FAQ about it, but in case anybody wants to play with it,
I'm here to help!

Thanks for your help!
> --
> Ray