Time to consolidate static project pages into GitLab?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:09:46 UTC 2017

Hi Anton,

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> Several more words.
>
> For many projects github pages might be enough. Also, code hosting can be
> done on github ​​​​. Maybe we should encourage this to free cl.net
> supporters from maintenance of code hosting?

I would like to point out that I was writing (not accidentally) Git*Lab*
pages not Git*Hub* pages: GitLab has a functionality which looks remarkably
similar to GitHub Pages and it's something that needs a bit of configuring
to get working. After the GitLab Pages work on c-l.net, the users of that
functionality no longer need SSH login accounts.

Just to clear up any potential for misunderstanding: I'm *not* proposing a
move to GitHub for any kind of functionality. Code hosting will absolutely
remain on c-l.net. Same for the mailing lists and list archives. However,
we're trying to advance our services to be as easy to use as those offered
by our "competitors", so, every now and then we need to evaluate our
offering (both in terms of ease for users as well as for admins).

>From other responses in this thread, I understand that there's still a need
for SSH access and "raw" hosting. We'll absolutely respect that.

One question does remain: would anybody be interested in having the "easy"
route for deploying static website content through Git*Lab* pages? In other
words, would there still be a benefit for us setting it up or is there no
demand?

Regards,

Erik.