[Clo-devel] Problems with cl-net hosted CVS repos?

Christian Lynbech christian at defun.dk
Mon Oct 13 19:30:45 UTC 2014

I hope I am adressing the right common-lisp.net list, but has something
bad happened to the CVS repositories hosted on common-lisp.net?

I am tracking a number of cl-net projects and when I tried to update
just now, it behaved quite funny.

One such example of a project I am tracking is 'beirc', but I saw it in
several other projects, which is why I have started to suspect a generic
problem rather than something bad in a particular project.

For beirc I have recorded the following repository URL:

        :pserver:anonymous:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/beirc/cvsroot

If I check the homepage at

        http://common-lisp.net/project/beirc/

the link to browse the repo gives a "Not Found" nor does the link to how
to download it work.

What happens when I try to do an update or a checkout, I get output like
this:

    U 00external00/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/CVSROOT/notify
    U 00external00/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/cvsroot/CVSROOT/rcsinfo

and indeed the files are duplicated:

    christians-imac:~/Local/UPSTREAM$ find beirc/ -name variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/beirc/variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/CVSROOT/beirc/variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/beirc/variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/beirc/variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/beirc/variables.lisp
    beirc//00external00/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/CVSROOT/beirc/variables.lisp

This on a Mac (OSX 10.9.5) with the buildin cvs which claims to be the
following:

    christians-imac:~/Local/UPSTREAM/beirc$ cvs --version

    Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)

This has worked not so long ago, I think.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk