[clo-devel] Managing (version controlling) the common-lisp.net main website

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun May 8 21:04:21 UTC 2011

The clo project contains a copy of the c-l.net website in its
repository. This repository is checked out in the public_html
directory of the clo project and synced hourly from there to the main
web pages in /var/www. However, if I look at the /var/www directory,
it contains much more than what's in the clo directory and repository.

To resolve this situation, I'd like to copy all files in /var/www to
the clo project and add them to the repository. There were ideas from
others - I believe Raymond and Stelian - to use a different solution
to maintain the website; maybe using a CMS or wiki-based system which
allows WYSIWYG editing on the web.

For now, I'm going with my "copy back" solution. However, it looks to
me like we do need *some* kind of enhanced control. (Maybe even just a
description of location of different kinds of files for maintainers to
consult?)