[clo-devel] [cmucl-imp] URL wrong on CMU CL home page

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:51:47 UTC 2011

>>>>> "binghe" == Chun Tian <(binghe)" <binghe.lisp at gmail.com>> writes:

    binghe> What's the relationship between CMUCL home page and
    binghe> common-lisp.net?  I'm one assistant system administrator
    binghe> of cl.net now, please describe your need.

Ok, it's a bit complicated and dates back maybe 10 years.  CMUCL used
to be hosted at www.cons.org.  But a crash and prolonged downtime
prompted a move to common-lisp.net.  But the web presence is still at
www.cons.org.

The web pages are in cvs and when they are updated, an emacs script is
run (by hand) to process the pages.  These are stored in a public
directory, and www.cons.org periodically (daily) goes out and grabs
these files to populate the website.  www.cmucl.org does to, but much
more frequently.  I also left a copy on common-lisp.net.  Thus, there
were three different sites that had the same content, and they all
worked.  I know because I tested them all when www.cmucl.org came
online a few years ago.

Now, after the upgrade to cl.net, this stopped working.  I can't
definitely say this was caused by the upgrade, but I know when I made
the last snapshot and updated the pages, they worked.  With the most
recent snapshot, this stopped working.  I don't know why, and I
haven't had a chance to look at the emacs script to understand what
it's doing.  But the script hasn't changed.  Maybe the physical path
to the web pages has changed so that the script is doing the wrong
thing?

BTW, I did mention this on #tech.coop.  Eric H mentioned that the web
server has changed a little in the update which would explain why the
cl.net copy of the pages no longer work, but this doesn't explain why
www.cons.org no longer does.  (Unless it also coincidentally changed
at the same time without any one telling me.)

Thanks for listening,

Ray