[clo-devel] 2011-04-15: cl-net migration progress

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Sun Apr 17 01:37:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> Hi Stelian,

>>> If you make a backup while the server is still accessible you'll lose
>>> data modified after the backup but before the restore and switch to the
>>> new server.
>>
>> Absolutely agreed. So, copying the data from an lvm snapshot is not
>> the only action. However, in the past, I've been able to reduce
>> downtimes of servers to just minutes by copying the bulk of the data
>> in advance, followed by bringing down the server, doing a quick rsync
>> and bringing up the new server. It's the plan I intend to use this
>> time aswell.
>
> Well, this part (moving everything to NFS) is finished. lisppaste has
> been restarted, but is rebuilding its in-memory metadata database from
> disc, so it may take a while to come back up. Please report any
> issues.

Sorry for being slow to comment, but do we really want to be using NFS?

NFS is slow, has a tendency to lock up, has a tendency to leave invincible
.nfsXYZ files, etc. etc.

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/n/NightmareFileSystem.html

We use it a lot at work, but I always convince the sysadmins to let me
have a local home directory that gets rsync'd to nfs at night.  Every
month or two dozens of people around me will be frozen while I work
happily.  Sometimes that latter aspect leaves me feeling stupid...

If different subdomains are hosted on different servers, couldn't the
relevant files be hosted on those servers as well?  Is there a compelling
need to have the SVN database on the same filesystem as user home
directories, project webpages, and mailing lists?

- Daniel