[clo-devel] cl-net upgrading update [2011-04-02]

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Fri Apr 8 14:53:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Remaining questions:
>> * how to migrate the users password and other secure data

I would assume that the password file formats have not changed, so I
would assume that the files can just be copied over.

>> * related: how to we bridge the gap between the time of the migration
>> of the user account data (/etc/passwd and /etc/group) and the
>> migration of the last service

You could make the password related files immutable on one box and
have password changes only be done on the other, then synchronize the
password files from the master to the slave frequently.  Frankly, I'd
avoid that issue by telling users that passwords cannot be changed
during the migration and make the migration phase short.

-Hans