[clo-devel] Upgrading mailman on common-lisp.net

Erik Enge erik.enge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:49:32 UTC 2006

I just upgraded mailman.  They have a security announcement for
mailman every other month or so.  We have two custom changes that we
have to apply after the upgrade:

  a) see /custom/pak/mailman/HTMLFormatter.py's RestrictedListMessage and
      copy-paste (or make a patch) into the new one in
      /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py

  b) Comment out line 119 and 120 in /usr/lib/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
       (the lines that print "bogus archive")

I just did this and hopefully we shouldn't have to mess with it again
for a few months but now the information has been shared for
prosperity.

Also note that the actual list archives and config files for the lists
are in symlinked from /var/lib/mailman into /custom/sys/mailman.  I
did this a few years back just in case a mailman upgrade decided to
screw up our archives or config files.

Thanks,