[lists] Re: [clo-devel] Getting clhp installed on Apache

Anthony Ventimiglia anthony at ventimiglia.org
Fri Nov 14 01:23:37 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola writes:
 > On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:34:54AM -0500, Anthony Ventimiglia wrote:
 >
 > > Now as an option, you can set up apache so the clhp-handler will only
 > > work in specific directories, say just set it up so it works under
 > > /project/clhp/. That way only my pages could use it. It's really a
 > > matter of trust, do you trust all common-lisp developers to not write
 >
 > Ok, I seem to have misunderstood. I though you wanted to just run it
 > for yourself. And even for you it would IMHO need to run chrooted
 > under clhp/public_html.
 >
 > I don't think we necessarily want to provide dynamic pages for
 > projects in general. It IMHO increases the potential serverload far
 > more then it benefits anyone.
 >
 > Those projects that have special needs may be provided for separately.
 > Otherwise, my stance is that this is a production box with only a
 > single part-time admin, so the less it is stressed the better.
 >
 > OTOH, maybe my paranoia is just acting up. Comments?

Ok like I said, we can configure Apache so it is only usable in
selected directories, not site-wide, there's no reason to chroot
anything, it would be a lot of hassle for nothing.

I think you're overestimating the load this will cause, all I can say
is you should maybe download it and try it out to see how it
works. It's in an early stage, and I'm not saying it's fit for a heavy
load, but with the handful of hits /project/clhp gets daily, it's
really not going to be noticable.

--
(incf *yankees-world-series-losses*)