[Clo-devel] On supporting arch

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Aug 19 22:22:46 UTC 2003

common-lisp.net and arch:

1) getting sftp access up requires no modifications to
   common-lisp.net's current setup. i am currently using an archive in
   /project/bese/bese-devel at common-lisp.net.

2) for anonymous access (read-only) it would be sufficent to symlink
   each project's archive directory to the wwwroot of the project.

In this setup each project that uses arch would have one public
read-only archive:

http://common-lisp.net/project/PROJECT-devel@common-lisp.net

and, for write access:

sftp://DEVELOPER@common-lisp.net/project/PROJECT-devel@common-lisp.net

why arch rocks CVS' world: [i've never tried subversion or darc or
bitkeeper, just CVS.]

1) branching and merging is EASY. I find myself makes lots of branches
   just so that i can just "try stuff out"; then merging if i decide
   it works.

2) renames, symlinks, directories are handled as they should.

3) changesets as opposed to single file versions.

4) local archives which mirror remote archives, each local archive is
   a new branch, so you can commit all you want. merging does not lose
   the patch history.

5) using sftp allows me to install it on any machine i want.

6) any revision can be checked and used as a complete tree (go back
   four versions, edit, merge, continue).

I have one major gripe: it imposes a (for me) weird naming scheme in
order to distinguish files under revision contral as opposed to other
files (ie it's missing .cvsignore (but you con fake it, sorta)).

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.