[climacs-devel] Re: Couple of first impressions

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Fri Dec 28 17:39:31 UTC 2007

Troels Henriksen <athas at sigkill.dk> writes:

> "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> writes:
>
>>   * C-/ does not work on German layout, presumably because / is a
>>     shifted character there.
>
> This is a McCLIM issue, or more specifically, a CLX issue. I have been
> told CLX needs support for the XKEYBOARD extension to fix this.

I'm not sure that it does; I think quite a lot of the logic could
happen client-side (that is, in McCLIM's X backend) in mapping
keycodes and modifiers to keysyms to characters, by removing the
modifiers that are "used up" to make a character, leaving only the
unused modifiers as "active".

It's probably not utterly straightforward to implement such
client-side mapping, but I think support for XKEYBOARD in CLX would be
a bonus, rather than completely necessary.

Cheers,

Christophe