[climacs-devel] Re: Couple of first impressions

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Thu Dec 27 21:29:17 UTC 2007

"John Q. Splittist" <splittist at gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 27, 2007 9:19 PM, Troels Henriksen <athas at sigkill.dk> wrote:
> > >  * Making Isearch Forward (C-s) available in Help buffers.
> >
> > Complicated, as help windows are not buffers, but typeout panes.
>
> That is, help windows are collections of objects that are not
> necessarily characters. The real question is: what is the problem you
> (Tobias, not Troels) are trying to solve with C-s? How can we (ahem)
> build the Climacs (ESA, mcclim...) help system in such a way as to
> support the patterns of exploration and discovery you are looking for?

I'd use it to explore what keybindings are available. It's probably less
useful in Climacs where `C-h b' results in an alphabetically sorted
listing, but in Emacs related keybinding tend to appear close to each
other.

Comming to speak of it, grouping keybinding sounds like a nice idea, too
(although it's orthogonal to my wish for C-s :-).) For example, there
could be groups like :movement, :editing, :interaction, :introspection,
and you'd have to specify what group a command belongs to within the
definition of the command.

  -T.