[climacs-devel] Re: Number recognition in the Lisp syntax module

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 6 15:43:34 UTC 2006

John Q Splittist <splittist at yahoo.com> writes:

> Troels Henriksen wrote:
>
>> Well, done. Climacs now supports something like Emacs' local buffer
>> variables
>
> I started making a few changes to the parsing part of this that ended
> up being a bit bigger than I intended, so apologies if you think I've
> gone too far.
>
> One thing that would be nice is to be able to do a Set Option (and
> View Option) [or ... Attribute], which would query the relevant Syntax
> about what options could be set, and what their current values
> were. (And it might be nice if it kept the list of all options,
> whether understood or not.)
>
> (Zmacs also had Update Attribute List, which would rewrite your -*-
> line for you...)

I don't exactly know what you're discussing here, but the lute
tablature editor that we have has something much like buffer-local
variables; pardon the syntax, but the top of a tabcode file looks much like

{<rules>
   <notation>italian</notation>
   <tuning>...</tuning>
 </rules>}

(where {...} introduces a tabcode comment).  What we do, which I think
is nice, is arrange for this to be part of the buffer syntax: it's
parsed and updated along with everything else.  This allows for the
cool demo of editing the "italian" in the above snippet to read
"french", and as the last character is typed to watch the rendered
tablature window change its notation completely.

Cheers,

Christophe