[climacs-devel] Unicode support in Climacs

JC Helary jch.helary at free.fr
Thu Jan 12 16:59:46 UTC 2006

Troels,
Thank you for your answer.

> for the least effort. Some major languages require exotic mechanisms
> such as sophisticated font handling and bidirectional input, features
> that are quite a bit more difficult to implement than the western
> European characters.

Definitely, especially when it is about re-inventing the wheel in
common lisp ;)
Kidding set aside, input can be handled on the X11 side and display
in the terminal side, so what really matters is proper handling of at
least one character set big enough that a lot of people are happy.
Plus, if you want to appeal to non latin developers...

>> I read somewhere that the only Common Lisp that supports Unicode
>> fully is CLISP, it is a pity the other are either not "compliant" or
>> default on latin-1.
>
> Is there any work ongoing to solve this issue? I am afraid that task
> is quite beyond my own abilities at this point.

I have no idea. I am struggling with Emacs on OSX to get a reasonably
satisfying default behavior...
Sorry, I can't help...

Jean-Christophe