[climacs-devel] Unicode support in Climacs

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Thu Jan 12 16:32:04 UTC 2006

JC Helary <jch.helary at free.fr> writes:

> I type in Japanese all day, as well as French, and English, and I can
> tell you that in 2006, any text editor that does not support Unicode
> for at least the 10 biggest languages in the world is not going to go
> very far.

Of course support for the characters defined in ISO-8859-1 is not the
optimal solution, but it is probably what would bring the most value
for the least effort. Some major languages require exotic mechanisms
such as sophisticated font handling and bidirectional input, features
that are quite a bit more difficult to implement than the western
European characters.

> Everything from input to display to file saving/opening has to be
> relatively smooth otherwise the application is useless.

I agree completely, no-one should have to care about character sets
anymore (apart from implementors obviously).

> I read somewhere that the only Common Lisp that supports Unicode
> fully is CLISP, it is a pity the other are either not "compliant" or
> default on latin-1.

Is there any work ongoing to solve this issue? I am afraid that task
is quite beyond my own abilities at this point.

--
\  Troels "Athas" Henriksen
/\ sigkill.dk/blog (Danish)