[climacs-devel] Question about the info-pane display function

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Fri Oct 21 18:22:22 UTC 2005

Max-Gerd Retzlaff <m.retzlaff at gmx.net> writes:

> Using FORMAT to just print (in contrast to PRESENT) some string seems
> to be the wrong idea for a CLIM application.

I agree, but that was not what I had in mind anyway. I merely objected
to the very static nature of DISPLAY-INFO, where it is not possible to
change the format of the information of the display pane, unless you
change the DISPLAY-INFO function itself. I don't think a format-string
(not as in "a string passed to FORMAT," but "a string containing
tokens that are replaced by the relevant data") based approach would
prevent the usage of PRESENT. If we imagine a format-string permitting
the same commands as GNU Emacs' `mode-line-format', "%b" would output
the name of the buffer - this name could be PRESENTed or anything else
appropiate to the situation.

--
Troels "Athas" Henriksen