[climacs-devel] Question about the info-pane display function

Robert Strandh strandh at labri.fr
Fri Oct 21 18:14:32 UTC 2005

Troels Henriksen writes:
 > The display-function for the info-pane/modeline,
 > climacs-gui::display-info, is very simple, and seems to be a bit
 > hackish as well (as far as I can see, text for overwrite-mode,
 > fill-mode and isearch-mode is hard-coded in the function).

You are right.

 > Is this
 > simplicity by design, or is it merely a placeholder until something
 > more flexible can be put in place?

It is definitely not by design.

 > If the latter is the case, is
 > anyone working on it?

Probably not.  I seem to recall that Dave Murray had some ideas, but I
am not sure about that.

 > If not, I might be able to lend a hand, since it
 > doesn't seem to require all kinds of arcane knowledge about CLIM. :-)

That would be great!

 > It should be simple enough to implement some kind of format-string
 > system, where the order (and amount) of information in the pane can be
 > customized by changing the string, until something like GNU Emacs'
 > `mode-line-format'-variable and semantics can be developed.
 >
 > What is your input on this?

Hard to say.  I thing Max-Gerd Retzlaff has the right idea that
PRESENT should be used.  But that excludes a general format string it
seems.  A special version of a very restricted version of format that
uses PRESENT is a possibility.

--
Robert Strandh