[climacs-devel] a paragraph on persistent buffers

Aleksandar Bakic a_bakic at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 12:46:31 UTC 2005

> While I have you, though: when you say "Also, it is not necessary
> separately to remember editing operations in undo records, in order to
> preserve precise buffer history", what is meant there?  Without having
> looked at the code, my guess is that you're contrasting the persistent
> buffer implementation of undo, which doesn't need to remember editing
> operations, with the "ordinary" buffer implementation, which does --
> but I could be wildly off.

Yes, an undo record of a persistent buffer only keeps a version of the buffer
(effectively, just a pointer because the contents is also part of newer buffer
versions). An undo record of a regular buffer only keeps an editing operation,
I think. So, perhaps you could rewrite that portion and say that only a pointer
is kept instead of an editing operation object...

Alex