[climacs-devel] update-syntax and delegating buffers

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 12:38:47 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Bakic <a_bakic at yahoo.com> writes:

> Is your update-syntax method in the cvs? I tried not to break
> things, sorry...

It's not in CVS, and it's not your fault by any means.

> The rationale for the delegating-buffer is to allow for specifying
> the buffer implementation at run time. When implementing it, I found
> that, in order to minimize changes in the existing code, the
> simplest solution was to delegate the two syntax-related methods,
> too. However, I had not planned for this, so please suggest how you
> would like it changed and I'll try to do it asap.

Well, what happens to ordinary climacs code if the two update-syntax
methods don't delegate?  In theory, they should be using the buffer
protocol to interact with their buffer argument, so everything should
carry on working transparently... but if it doesn't, it might be worth
identifying what the problem is.  If nothing too much breaks, then
removing those trampolines would be ideal.

Thanks,

Christophe